Jake Whisler returns to the Bells staff as an assistant coach in 2018, after two years in the same role under coaches Greg Goetz and Mike Gange. Whisler played collegiately at Western Oregon University, was a captain and helped lead WOU to five Great West Athletic Conference titles and two NCAA DII Regional appearances.
Whisler is very excited to return to the Bells ahead of the upcoming season.
- How do you think our two returners (Yake and DeLaite) will impact the team and help the new players adjust to Bells baseball? "Ernie and Trevor were vital pieces to our team last summer and will play an even bigger role in our success this summer. These are the two best examples of a Bell that you could ask for so they will be able to show the new guys how we go about our business day in and day out. Very excited to have the chance to work with these two again this summer!"
- We have some new schools sending us players this year (Mississippi State, Pepperdine, Valpo, etc.), what kind of edge do you think these programs will bring to Bellingham this season? "The new schools that we have added to the roster this season have amazing teams year in and year out. These players will impact our team immediately because they come from programs that play the game the right way. The coaching staffs at these programs have the same expectations that our coaching staff in Bellingham does so their transition to Bellingham should be a smooth one. Smooth transitions are extremely important in the summer because you do not have time to get a feel for your coaching staff and teammates. You have to be able to buy in immediately as a player and a coach and this is why these players from these new schools will give us an edge this summer."
- Which season series are you looking forward to most and why (Home or Away)? "The away trip that I am looking forward to the most would either be Victoria or Portland. It is always fun to travel to new ballparks in the WCL and having the Pickles in our league will be an exciting challenge. Victoria is always an exciting trip because of the team that we play in the HarbourCats and how gorgeous the city of Victoria is. The home series that I am looking forward to the most will be the Corvallis Knights. Any time you get a chance to play the defending champs is exciting and the fact that we get to play them at home doubles the excitement."
- Are there any standouts on this year's roster that you think will be making a big impact on this summer's team? What makes you think they will be able to adjust to a busy summer schedule? "Anytime you can get players from Stanford or UCLA you can be sure that they will be able to make an impact on your roster. We have had terrific players come from these programs and more importantly they are amazing people and teammates."
- What would you like our fans to know about the upcoming season? "There are plenty of new faces throughout the team and coaching staff this summer that will be amazing assets to the Bells community and tradition. We will have a group of guys who want to play the game the right way and are very talented. We also have a coaching staff that is devoted to making the team better everyday which should make for a fun filled summer of successful baseball."
Make sure you catch Coach Whisler and the rest of the 2018 Bellingham Bells on Opening Day, June 4th, 2018!